Pyne’s of Somerset is Butcher’s Shop of the Year 2019!
Pyne’s of Somerset has been crowned Butcher’s Shop of the Year 2019, beating off top-quality competition to become the best butcher shop in the country. Brought to you by MTJ, Butcher’s Shop of the Year celebrates independent retail butchers and the fantastic work they do.
Thirteen awards were presented during the ceremony in front of an audience of 200guests on 4 November at Hilton London Bankside. For this year’s competition, ourjudges had an extremely difficult task to identify the overall winner.
MTJ’s Publisher Sonia Young praised the finalists and winners. “The finalists andcategory winners displayed an extremely high standard, making judging for thisyear’s competition very difficult. Every single one of these businesses are at the verytop of their game and are providing a fantastic service to their communities.”
The overall winner, Pyne’s of Somerset is known locally as ‘The Harrods ofSomerset.’ As well as extensive butchery, the shop has a deli, fishmonger andthriving takeaway serving nearly 1,000 people. All meat is from local farm sourcednative breeds.
Owner Malcolm Pyne said he was overjoyed to have been crowned Butcher’s Shopof the Year 2019 and praised his staff and family. “This is a fantastic day for ourfamily business, it could not have been possible without my staff and wife for all theirhard work. I can’t express how happy I am, this is one of the biggest days of my life.We’re overjoyed to have won this award and would encourage every butcher to enternext year to show off their business.”
Butcher’s Shop of the Year 2019 is kindly sponsored by Butchers Sundries, HYBUCIG CYMRU, Lucas Ingredients, Middleton Foods, Scobies Direct, Tican chilled andWeddel Swift
Over the years our meat and meat products have collected an array of accolades, many from the most exacting of critics – the British meat industry. Here are a few:-
- South of England Butcher of the Year 2007/8 and 2008/9
- Butcher’s Shop-plus of the Year 2012
- Winner, National Federation of Meat Traders South of England sausage championship 2013 and 2014
- Best butcher finalist Somerset Life Food and Drink awards 2014
- Four gold medals, National Federation of Meat Traders South of England burger championship 2014
- Best Butcher and Best Independent Food Retailer Somerset Life Food and Drink awards 2015
- Best beef product (beefburgers) Beef South West 2015
- National Federation of Meat Traders’ Southern England burger championship plus three gold awards 2015
- Best butcher Somerset Life Food and Drink awards 2016
Malcolm Pyne is a member of the Institute of Meat